|The Village||Photo Gallery|
The name of this ancient town, Mechmont, comes from the deformation of Latin magno monte, literally the great mountain. His name was later changed to a form of etymology came Romanesque medio monte and Occitan in maigmon. The village will be part of the parish of archpriest of St. Andrew of Cahors, then called Mechmont of War. The warrior name finally disappear in the 80s.History
Its history is very old, dating back to the early tenth century. Formerly a manor, Mechmont had a castle (castrum Maigmon 1287) during the Hundred Years War. Lords of Pestilhac took sides during the war against the Albigensian Count of Toulouse, a supporter of the Cathar cause. In retaliation, Simon de Montfort confiscated a portion of their property. Today the castle is gone, it would have been demolished, residents would have used stones to build the village.The Village
Mechmont is a quiet little village, perched atop a hill surrounded by forests, it lies between the the Vert valley and the Belle valley.