Reservation
Start * 
End *
eMail *
Code *

Captcha
 
News & Events

from 08 to 16 november 2008
Salon Marjolaine
Bio & Sustainable Development
At the Parc Floral in Paris, the fair exhibition Marjolaine is the event of bio and eco-consumer responding to the needs of those who decided to make another choice of life and society.


from 15 to 23 november 2008
Week of Solidarity
The world is changing, and you?
The 11th week of international solidarity invites you to participate to more than 5000 original animations and friendly throughout France.


18 november 2008
"Children from here, children from elsewhere"
Game-animation created and hosted by Hum Anim, intervention at the primary school of Beauville (47) within the week of international solidarity in the class of GS/PA for children 5 and 6 years.


Saint Cirq Lapopie...

  St Cirq Lapopie Rocamadour Photo Gallery  
 
Saint Cirq Lapopie
History

It is likely that the occupation of the rocky escarpment overlooking the left bank of the Lot river, facing a circle of cliffs, tried men from the Gallo-Roman times.

The St. Cirq land belonged to Cardaillac family. In 1229, Bertrand de Cardaillac paid homage to Raymond Count of Toulouse for this land. One of his descendant, also named Bertrand, received in 1395 the castle and the estate of Saint-Cirq. It was the source of the barons of Cardaillac St. Cirq.

Later, three families shared the lordship. This triple lordship cause some problems during the crusade against the Albigenses:

  • Cardaillacs rallied to the Count of Toulouse;
  • While the Popie and Gourdon families allied with Simon de Montfort;
  • In 1251, one of the lords, Bernard de Castelnau, was condemned by the Inquisition to life imprisonment for having encouraged heretics.
During the Hundred Years War, Hugues IV of Cardaillac was in the French camp, he was a great technician of the artillery. In 1471, Louis XI had to dismantle the castle of Raymond of Cardaillac who had sided against him in favor of the Duc de Berry during the War "du bien public". It was rebuilt during the reign of Charles VIII, who granted great favors to Raymond of Cardaillac, to compensate the damages caused under Louis XI.

This old pattern is repeated at the time of the Religions War: Cardaillac became the leader of the Protestants of Languedoc while St. Sulpice remained Catholic.

Friends, however, they agreed to prohibit all violence in their common city, but in 1580, breaking the truce, Huguenots seized the castle from above, Henry of Navarre was demolished.

Geography

The town is located 30 km east of Cahors in the heart of Regional Natural Park of Quercy Limestone. The medieval village overlooking the Lot river.

Architecture

Major site in the Lot Valley, Saint Cirq Lapopie married its high cliff to form a Gothic set of a striking harmony, due to the fact that homes using only three materials:

  • Each roof is covered with local tuilot, made from local clay almost blood color;
  • Each wall is built with limestone ivory of surroundings area;
  • Each door or piece of wood is carved into the brown oak of the limestone.
Thus, materials and colors vibrate together with a subtlety intact since the Middle Ages.

The Pilgrimage of Compostela

On the Via Podiensis of Pilgrimage of St Jacques de Compostela, we come from Cabrerets, the next town Cahors, the St. Stephen's Cathedral and the Pont Valentré. Shortly after the pilgrims were joined by those who had borrowed the Lot valley.